Happy Earth Day! Today marks the day where we’re supposed to take a step back and think about our home, the Earth, and what we can do to make it a better place to live for ourselves and for the future. There are so many little things you can do that will can make a huge difference over time. I was never the most environmentally conscious person growing up, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve tried to make a lot of changes to reduce my carbon footprint. What are some of the things that you do or changes you’ve made to be more green?
- I use public transportation to get to and from work every day. I used to drive frequently. Not to mention, the metro is way cheaper than parking in DC.
- I use Tupperware as much as I can to bring in my breakfast/lunch instead of disposable bags like ziplocks. If I use ziplock bags, I reuse them so I’m making less trash.
- I recycle everything that I can.
- I have a reusable water bottle that I keep on my desk and drink from everyday rather than buying disposable plastic bottles.
- I have switched fully to receiving my bills by email and online instead of in the mail.
- I use a lunchbox or reusable totebag to bring lunch in every day instead of a plastic bag like I used to.
- I gave up red and white meat, and now only eat fish.
If you’re looking for some ideas on things you can do to make a difference, click here.
Last night I was packing my lunch for today and decided to give the Breakfast Cookie another go. Whenever I bring a Breakfast Cookie in, I have to bring in the plate I make it on, too, which won’t fit in my regular lunchbox. So, I bring in this bag with my breakfast, lunch, and snacks:
It’s hard to gauge its size from the picture I realize, but this is a medium sized one, not a full sized one that you’d bring for a grocery shopping trip. Because this bag doesn’t close, it makes it difficult to hold off from eating the Breakfast Cookie until I get to work because it peeks out of the bag the whole ride to work!
Needless to say, I wasted no time diving into this Breakfast Cookie once I got to my desk. Presenting… the Chocolate Banana Breakfast Cookie.
This Banana Chocolate Breakfast Cookie has:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 scoop protein powder
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp light soy milk
- 1 small mashed banana
- dark chocolate chunks
The breakfast cookie was good, but I think I used too much banana! It was a little “wetter” than I wanted, so next time I’d use half a banana instead of a whole one. Flavor-wise, it was really good and I loved eating it, but the Chocolate Cherry Breakfast Cookie I made earlier this week had more of a cookie like consistency. This had more of an overnight oats consistency, which wasn’t exactly what I was going for.
I think because its Earth Day, the weather decided to get nice to make me appreciate it more. It’s going to be sunny and in the 70s this afternoon, so I am really hoping the weather holds so I can go on a long bike ride after work! My new bike shorts arrived in the mail yesterday. The person who wrote a review gave them only 2 stars but said they were too big and the padding was too thick… I tried mine on yesterday and they are perfect! The padding is not that thick and honestly I was expecting it thicker from her description. I’m going to write a review on there after I try them out and hopefully it’ll be closer to 5 stars.
Have a good day!