The smile on my face while walking out of yesterday’s Weight Watchers meeting was a drastic change from the near tears I was in when I walked out of the first one I led last week!
IT WENT SO MUCH BETTER!!!
There were a lot of reasons why yesterday’s meeting was more successful than my first attempt.
To start, the topic of the week was something I was a lot more comfortable with – the flexibility of the PointsPlus program and how it’s easy to mold the program to fit your lifestyle. I really live and breathe Weight Watchers and do believe it’s a super flexible program that can fit into almost anyone’s lifestyle, so it felt a lot more natural for me to be presenting it.
On top of that, I had a really good opening and theme idea that I found online (there are TONS of resources for Weight Watcher Leaders for meeting ideas!) so I just felt really familiar and confident with the topic.
Outside of that, I was in a familiar space (the one where I attended meetings as a member and also am a receptionist for a meeting each week), which helped me a lot in feeling comfortable and moving around the room. Despite the fact that I had to arrive at 7am, I also was a lot more upbeat and enthusiastic; aka much more like myself than the awkward person I was last Monday during lunchtime.
The big things that I changed from last week were:
- I incorporated movement and tried to walk around the room so I was spreading my attention around and appearing more confident.
- I wore a watch so that I knew roughly how long had passed, which helped me to be less nervous about filling the time.
- I had a ton of great questions in store for when silences came up.
- I delved deeper into members responses by asking follow up questions rather than changing the subject.
- I asked follow-up questions to the group at large so that members started talking to and relating to each other.
- I was more confident and upbeat like my normal self, rather than reserved and quiet.
- I made a few jokes and laughed with the group, which made everyone more comfortable.
- I mostly avoided awkward topic transitions.
Don’t get me wrong – it was only my second time leading a meeting, so I still have a lot of room for improvement – but I felt like I did a really good job incorporating feedback from last week’s meeting into this one, and I also got additional feedback from yesterday’s meeting that I can incorporate into my meetings going forward.
I think the biggest difference between walking away from last week’s meeting compared to this week’s meeting is that I now feel confident that I will be a great leader one day. I am so excited to have the opportunity to pay forward everything that Weight Watchers has given me because it really has changed my life completely. And of course selfishly, I am also excited to continue to be involved with the program as it grows and evolves so that I hold myself accountable and continue to keep healthy living and weight loss top priorities in my life.
PS: Two blog readers were actually at the meeting!!!! Sooooo surreal. Hi guys!! =)