Happy Veteran’s Day! I hope that you are not working this morning like I am. 🙂 It felt weird coming in on the metro since there were SO few people on it.
I spent hours last night cleaning my apartment and doing prep work for tonight. You know what the hardest part was? Ironing the 12’ black table cloth!! I just got it, so it was new out of the package and creased along the entire thing. It took me over an hour to do it and not even well. I have to redo it again today so it looks normal but its a lot better than it was at least. Boo.
I woke up pretty early today and was planning to do yoga, but I started doing this YogaWorks Slim Down On Demand thing and I just wasn’t feeling it. I did it for 20 minutes or so and then aborted mission and took a shower instead. Today was day 4 of getting up early in the mornings, so I was pretty proud even though I didn’t get a full workout in.
I’ve had a few people ask me about getting up in the AM and do I have any tips, and I honestly do not think I’m qualified to answer that just because I am normally so bad about it, but this week I’ve had so much to do at night that I haven’t really had a choice. I have to say that its actually been awesome getting out of work at 5/5:30 and already having my workout done and the whole evening ahead of me! I hope to be able to continue to do this a few days a week since it frees up my evenings.
Some of the top tips I have for getting out of bed in the morning are:
- Set your alarm and place it away from your bed. This way you HAVE to get out of bed to turn the alarm off. Once I actually get out from under the covers its easier to stay awake than if my phone alarm is right next to my bed and I just reach my hand out blindly and turn it off and go back to sleep.
- Wear your workout clothes to bed or have them laid out the night before. If you’re doing something like yoga especially where comfy clothes are the attire, sleep in your yoga pants! That way, when you get up all you have to do is roll out of bed and you’re almost ready to go.
- Have a plan and mentally prepare for it! If I just want to “work out” and don’t have an actual plan like elliptical and weights or running or something like that, I find it a lot harder to get motivated to get out of bed than when I have a plan.
- Go to bed early enough that waking up is reasonable. If I’m up too late the night before, realistically I am not going to wake up early in the morning and I just have to accept that.
- Make sure you don’t work out later the evening before. Two workouts in 12 hours can be rough on the body and you might not be refreshed enough.
- Reward yourself! I like this one the best. 🙂 I always try to have a really delicious breakfast or coffee already brewed as soon as I get back from my workout, so that it gives me motivation to not only get up, but keeps me thinking about it the whole time I’m working out and helps the time fly.
Today’s reward (even though I didn’t really work out!) was a delicious bowl of hot oats – first one all week!
In the mix:
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup scottish oats
- 2 tbsp peanut flour (protein!!)
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- Pom seeds
- FlaxPlus Pumpkin Granola (bulk bins at Whole Foods)
Are you a morning exerciser? What are some tips or tricks you have for getting yourself out of bed in the morning?