I cannot believe it’s already March… but in hopes of not sounding like a broken record on the first of every month, that’s all I’ll say on that subject.
Since its a new month, its time to see how I did on the goals for last month and set some new ones for this one! March is a big month for me because its the month of my half marathon, but first…
1. Continue to following my training plan, building up to a 10 mile run and continuing with speed training. Check! I only missed one or two weekly runs, and none of the long runs or the speed training. I also went from 7 miles to 10 miles on the long run!
2. Continue to stretch after every run for injury prevention. I’m happy to report that this now feels like it’s become a habit and I don’t even think about NOT stretching. So weird for me considering it was SO hard at the beginning to get myself to do it!
3. Try to do The Shred each week on Mondays or Thursdays. FAIL. I only did The Shred once during the whole month… I have to be more consistent about strength training because I know it will only make me a better runner.
4. Go back to Bikram at least once. I did this one!
5. Get down to 168. Yes! I weighed in at 167.8! I didn’t weigh in last week but am going this week so hopefully it’ll be the same or lower.
6. Keep up with menu planning. I’ve done pretty good with this one! New meals included Tempeh Tacos, Skillet Souffle, and Peanut Sauce with Summer Rolls.
7. Read another book. Check – I read Service Included.
8. Focus on going to bed earlier. Fail. I’ve been staying up until midnight still during the week and it makes getting up in the morning a lot less fun than it could be.
9. Cash Only Spending Policy. I didn’t do this, BUT, I did come up with a great system that works for me. I opened a second checking account that I’m using strictly for spending money, and every Monday I’m transferring in $150 to use for the week. This includes groceries, gas, drinks/dinner/happy hours. All my bills are coming out of the other account, and this system seems to be working really well so far.
So all in all, I did pretty well with my goals but definitely have some areas for improvement. I’m especially proud of being so dedicated to my training plan and keeping up with the speed work and long runs. I’m also proud that it feels like I’ve made stretching into a habit rather than a reach goal like it was before.
For (a hopefully) Marvelous March:
1. Kill the half marathon on March 26th!! My goal is to PR in the half, which should be doable based on my current pace with long runs and the training.
2. Follow my half marathon training plan, continuing to focus on speed work and long runs!
3. Focus on strength training at least once a week, hopefully twice. I’m going to count The Shred, free weights, and/or Bikram all as strength training.
4. Post one new step-by-step recipe on here each week.
5. Stick to under $75 per week in groceries and post the shopping trip goods on here to show how to eat well on a budget! You can see the first trip that I posted yesterday here.
6. Get below 166 pounds – even 165.8 will be great. I weighed in at 166 in January 2010, and haven’t seen the weight since. I think it stuck for all of 30 seconds. Getting to 165 will be my lowest weight of all time, and put me under 6 pounds from my goal weight.
7. Start researching marathon training plans to get excited about the full marathon at the end of October. We’ll see if this one works.
So those are pretty lofty goals but I think taking things one at a time will really help. I’m actually getting super excited about the half marathon and am looking forward to crushing my time in my first (2:16:18).
How was February for you? Any big plans for March?