(Warning: You’ve heard this before…) I cannot BELIEVE it’s February. Where did January go? I’m still having trouble accepting that its 2011, much less than we’re already a month in…Crazy.
Yesterday was an incredible day. Over 4 months after he was born, I finally got to hold my little nephew Harper. I didn’t want to scare him with a flash, so unfortunately the picture itself isn’t that great, but the moment was incredible. 🙂
A little background for newer readers – Harper was born at 23 weeks, so about 4 months early. It was very devastating because he had a twin, Tristan, who didn’t make it, and the future for Harper was very uncertain. With thoughts and prayers from all over the country, Harper has been a little miracle and just went home the week before last, after 130 long days in the ICN. When he was born, he weighed just 1 pound 3 ounces, and now he is up to 7lbs 3oz, so the size of a newborn. He is thriving at home, and yesterday was the first time I’ve gotten to hold him since his birth, so it was an amazing day for me. I can’t wait to go back and spend more time with him (and my sister). I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers, emails, tweets, comments, and support more than I can express – thank you guys. 🙂
Moving along, now that January is over, let’s look back at what I set out to do last month, and how I measured up on each one. Here were my goals:
- Follow Hal Higdon’s Intermediate Half-Marathon training plan. I developed my own plan and have been really great about keeping up with it, so I give myself a check plus on this one! I did the 7 mile run this past weekend, have been doing speed training 1-2 times a week, and only missed one run (a 5k pace run) when I was traveling for work for a week.
- Stretch. Check! I tried to stretch after every single run and was really good about it. I feel like its now become a habit!
- The Shred. I did The Shred 3 times during the month, which isn’t SO bad.
- Go back to Bikram at least once. Yup! And it felt GREAT.
- Get back in the 160s. I think this goal was a little lofty – I did make a lot of progress with my weight, getting from 181.6 when I joined in December to 170.4 the last time I weighed in, but am not quite in the 160s.
- Menu Planning. I was a lot better about this this month, and did cook at home quite a bit.
- Recipes. Check! I did 3 new recipes during the 3 weeks I was cooking at home. They are a WW Friendly Lentil Loaf, Homemade Caramelized Red Onion Calzones, and No Bake Cookies,
- Read at least one book. I read Almost Single, and am on the market for a new book! Recommendations welcome.
So all in all, I think I did really well with my goals for the month, despite being on the west coast for a week. February Goals are very similar to the ones for January, with a few additions/adjustments. Here they are:
- Continue to following my training plan, building up to a 10 mile run and continuing with speed training.
- Continue to stretch after every run for injury prevention.
- Try to do The Shred each week on Mondays or Thursdays.
- Go back to Bikram at least once.
- Get down to 168. Easier said than done now that the longer runs are starting.
- Keep up with menu planning, and post 1 new recipe each week since I’m not traveling at all during February.
- Read another book.
- Focus on going to bed earlier. I’ve been going to bed around midnight or later, and can feel my body rebelling. I need to try to get in bed by 11 the latest so I get 8 hours of sleep whenever possible.
- Cash Only Spending Policy. I am going to try to take cash out and spend only cash each week rather than using my debit to control spending.
Whew that feels like a lot to accomplish but February should be a lot calmer than January since I don’t have too much going on.
How was January for you?