I realize that many items on the following list are things that I should be doing anyway, but let’s be real. There are many days when I stay up a little too late, have one (or five) too many cocktails, or don’t drink as much water as I know I should.
With my half marathon coming up on Saturday, I want to be extra strict about what I put into my body and how I treat it so that I can run the best race that I am capable of. I know that by now I’ve put in enough training for that, but following the things on my list will ensure that I’m also properly rested and fueled come 7am (yuck!) on Saturday morning.
- Eat Clean. I try to eat pretty clean anyway, but there are definitely areas I still struggle with. I really want to focus on avoiding anything processed this week, eating tons of fruits and veggies, whole grains, and protein.
- No Alcohol. This one should be a breeze going forward since I have nothing really lined up, but I had two challenges with not drinking already – dinner on Saturday night, and a reception at the conference last night. Both times I stuck with seltzer with lime while others were drinking, when I normally would have been drinking too. Because I made my mind up before I even went it wasn’t too difficult and I was proud of myself for sticking to the plan.
- Lots of Water. Weight Watchers suggests drinking six 8oz glasses of water a day, so each day I drink at least 48 oz of water while at my desk at work, and then more when I get home. I know that I personally need more than that, so this week, my goal is to have 72 oz of water (3 bottles instead of 2) at work.
- Extra Sleep. I have been failing miserably in this department – staying up way too late and getting under 7 hours of sleep a night. I know some people can still function well off of just a little sleep, but that is just not me. I am a zombie and not fun to be around if I’m cranked out from not getting enough shut eye. My focus for this week is to be in bed no later than 11pm each night for this week (and I should stick with it afterward the race but we’ll see what happens).
- Stretching/Strengthening. I’ve been slacking in this department as well, but last Thursday I went to Bikram, and then yesterday I did The Shred (level 3 which was SO hard!!!). My plan is to try to go to Bikram this Thursday evening again, and make extra time for stretching after my runs, which should be doable since this week they are shorter than they have been (4 miles and 30 minutes tempo).
I want to finish the race looking at least this happy.
With my first half marathon, my goal was just to finish. There was little pressure besides don’t die and hopefully be able to walk after, but this time around I have loftier goals so I have to be extra cautious about how I approach this week. I’ll do another post about my specific goals for the race (and goal setting in general) later this week, but bottom line is I know that I have to really focus to make them happen!
On average, how many (1) hours of sleep do you get a night and (2) much water do you drink a day?