Hiya! It’s so nice that it’s on Tuesday but the end to this week is in sight because Thanksgiving is SO soon. I seriously cannot believe that it’s the holiday season or that 2010 is almost over… or that its 2010 but that’s a whole different issue.
Last night I was supposed to go see a friend in Baltimore who I haven’t seen in years, but I made the decision to stay home instead and I think it was a good one. I’m sad because my friend Chris never comes down this way and Baltimore is only 45 mins from DC, but I had to work a full day, get some things done around the house, and I still have a lot to do to get ready for Thanksgiving. So, I ended up getting in a good workout even though I was not feeling it at all until it was over instead.
I ran a mile on the treadmill to warm up (10 minutes) and then did some weights:
- 3×15 dead lifts with a bicep curl (12 lb freeweights)
- 3×12 tricep curl (15 lb freeweight)
- 3×15 shoulder press (10 lbs)
- 3×15 chest press (20 lbs)
- 3×15 pulldowns (55 lbs)
After the weights, I did 30 minutes on the elliptical on the random setting at level 10. I was happy when the workout was over, I’ll tell you that much. 🙂
With that, time to check in on my goals from last week. Here they were with their status:
- Still get in 4 workouts (2 down already) this week, including at least one while in MO. I crushed this goal, getting in 6 workouts this week! I got in one tuesday, two wednesday, one thursday, one saturday, and one monday, including twice while in MO. Yay.
- Get in 2 days of strength training. Check – Saturday and Monday. Good ones, too.
- Make a conscious effort to drink a lot of water despite traveling. I did a great job with this one. I tried to alternate coffee with water in the mornings, and bought a bottle of Smart Water that I kept refilling throughout the trip. I think I even got MORE water in in MO than I do at my desk.
- Try to get as much sleep as possible even though there will be early mornings and late nights this week. I did pretty well on this one. I tried to get to bed really early and succeeded most nights. I also limited myself to just one glass of wine on Wednesday and Thursday nights while in MO, which I think helped tremendously because I tend not to sleep that well if I drink.
- Make good decisions while traveling but give myself a break because its going to be harder to stay healthy while traveling than it is when I’m cooking for myself. I think I did really well with eating while I was in MO, but then I kind of cracked when we went to visit Wil’s mom. I’m always surrounded by candy and cookies and treats while there and have a hard time staying on track. Overall, I did alright with this one.
- Try to eat enough fruits and veggies this week even though I’m not cooking. I actually did way better with this one than I expected. Getting in fruits and veggies was really not too hard when I was away because I tried to have fruit with breakfast and for snacks, and a salad for or with lunch/dinner. It worked!
- Don’t turn the TV on while in MO – just read my book and magazines! Check! I even finished my book – Half Baked – while there, and read a Women’s Health Magazine.
This weekly goal thing is really working for me because I’m able to set goals based on what I’m doing for the week and only focusing on a few things each week seems do-able. Here’s what I want to do for the very last week in November.
- Workout at least four times, including one on Thanksgiving morning.
- Get in an outdoor run if weather permits.
- Strength train twice.
- Get in one day of interval training on the treadmill.
- Try to focus more on family during Thanksgiving rather than the food. This one will be tough!
- Cook at home as much as possible given traveling for the holiday.
- Realize that Thanksgiving is a holiDAY, not a holiWEEK or holiMONTH. Allow indulgences on that day but try to limit it. to Thursday.
- Pick another book to start reading and start!
How was your week in terms of healthy living? And, what are your plans for Thanksgiving? Are you staying put or traveling to see family? Are you cooking or just showing up?